Doors are necessary for access, safety and privacy whereas windows are provided for light and ventilation and add to aesthetic view of the building.
Door frames are required for the proper fixity and hinge action of the shutter. Door frames contribute sturdiness and safety to the door opening. The frame also helps in making the locking arrangement.
Since the serviceability of the shutter depends on the straightness & verticality of the frame, maximum care shall be taken while selecting the material for the frame. Usually seasoned teakwood frames are preferred because of versatile properties of wood. But to safeguard the environmental interest & cost, other material like mild steel or natural stones are preferred in this era.
While selecting the material for doorframe; following qualities shall be governed: –
- The sturdiness of the frame through selecting proper cross-section and thickness (in case of sheet metal).
- The serviceability of the shutter is satisfactory if the member of the frame is straight & free from faults.
- The dead load of the frame shall not be excessive so as to hamper the verticality (plumb) and right angle of the frame.
- Overall durability, ease in painting and maintenance shall also be considered
TYPES OF DOOR SHUTTERS: –
- Wooden panel shutter.
- Wooden flush shutter
- PVC flush shutter
- M.S. shutter
- Wooden Panelled door shutters:
These are generally used for entrance doors. These are moulded and decorative door shutters. Various types of designs can be made in panels.
- Wooden Flush Doors:
These are most commonly used in building construction. These are available in various standard sizes.
FIXING OF DOOR SHUTTER:
- Check the opening of doorframe for size, plumb and direction of shutter opening.
- Fix the lipping patti / bidding Patti, 12mm thick on all four sides of shutter using fevicol and panel pins to protect the shutter.
- Make the slots for hinges at pre-designed location.
- Fix the door shutter using screw with appropriate hinges. Maintain a uniform tolerance of 3 mm between the shutter & door frame on all sides.
- Fix all the fixtures as per the standard height given below.
Name Of Fitting
Standard Height From FFL
Night Latch/Mortice lock
As per the height of the leg of stopper
Top flush to top of shutter
ALUMINIMUM SLIDDING WINDOWS AND DOORS:
Now a days, use of aluminum window is a standard practice. These windows are durable, light in weight, easy to handle and easy to maintain. These windows give elegant appearance to the building and a non-obstructive view.
- Check the measurements, right angle & Diagonals of the window opening. Rectify the opening to the desired dimensions if required
- Check the specifications and weight range of aluminum sections.
- All aluminum sections should be in right angle and plumb
- Fix the aluminum frames along with shutters with anodized/power-coated screws at every 30cm in staggered pattern.
- Fix the locks on the shutters.
- Check weather wool piles and rubber gaskets are properly fixed for full length of frames & shutters respectively.
- Check for proper locking arrangement.
- Check weather drain holes are flush with bottom rail.
- Check weather the glasses are bubble free.
- Check weather rubber bushes are provided to sides of shutters.
- Check for swift sliding movement of the shutters.
- Gap between plaster and aluminum frames should be filled with silicon sealant.
- Clean the track with blowers.
- Use rubber/wooden malate for fixing frames and shutters.
- Periodical cleaning of tracks is necessary to avoid damage to roller bearing.
- Do not clean the aluminum section with any hard material having sharp edges.